College of Education and Human Development

Department of Educational Psychology

Special education minor for master's students

Make a difference in your field for those with disabilities

Complement your master’s degree with the knowledge and skills to improve the way your field supports people with disabilities by earning a graduate minor in special education.

Students wishing to pursue this graduate minor must be currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at the University of Minnesota. Students with an educational psychology major may elect a minor in special education, but no courses may count for both the major and the minor. Students enrolled in the Special Education MEd program are not eligible for the minor.


  • Teachers (elementary, secondary content, early childhood, etc.)
  • School psychologists
  • School counselors
  • Social workers
  • Paraprofessionals
  • Therapists (occupational, physical, music, art therapists, speech language pathologists)
  • School administrators (principals, mental health professionals, special education directors, etc.)
  • Community agencies working on behalf of people with disabilities
  • Advocacy organizations
  • Public policy makers
  • Vocational rehabilitation professionals
  • Non-profit organizations
  • Human resource professionals
  • Those focused on disability law
  • Educational researchers
  • Accessibility professionals
  • Anyone interested in better supporting people with disabilities through their work


    Coursework (12 credits)

    All minor coursework must be taken on the A/F grade basis unless the course is only offered on the S/N grade basis, and the minimum cumulative GPA for that coursework is 3.0.

    Course selection

    • All courses must be selected in consultation with the special education program advisor.
    • A special education program faculty member must be willing to serve on your committee (if you have one for your major program).
    • Any courses that will be used for the major program degree plan cannot be used toward the minor plan.

    Applying for the minor

    1. You must declare a minor prior to your final graduate exam.
    2. Submit a request to add a graduate education minor. When the request has been processed, you will receive an email notification.
    3. If your major program requires you to submit your degree plan in GPAS (Grad Planning & Audit System), you must also submit your minor degree plan in GPAS for approval by the special education committee member.


    Laura Paczkowski

    Special education advisor